Mar Menor Golf Course and Village
Intercontinental Hotel at Mar Menor
La Torre Golf Course
The Residencies and Swimming Pool
El Valle Golf Course
Hotel Guadalmina
Gran Hotel Monterrey

Driving in Spain

Some (but not all) tips for driving in Spain

You are not allowed to drive in Spain until you are 18 years old, even if you are 17 and have passed your test!

When driving your own car in Spain, you will need the following documents

  • Driving license (both photographic and paper counterpart, if applicable)
  • Vehicle registration document
  • Proof of ID (Passport)
  • Insurance certificate

Please adhere to the following. Failure to do so could result in on the spot fines!

  • Carry reflective jackets in your vehicle. Although not compulsory, they should ideally be carried as you could be fined for walking on the road or hard shoulder without one.
  • Carry at least one warning triangle in your vehicle.
  • Headlamp beams must be deflected.
  • Seatbelts must be fastened front and back.
  • Take note of the rules regarding children and travelling. They may be different to the UK!
  • Do not cross single white lines, taking special note when joining a motorway, for example. You must wait until the line is broken.
  • When entering tunnels, always switch your lights on.
  • It is advisable not to drive in flip flops or open back sandals. Fines have also been imposed for this.

Changes to UK Driving Licence
After 8th June 2015 the UK driving license is changing and the paper counterpart of the driving license will not be valid after this date. Any penalty points etc. will be recorded electronically.

If you are going abroad and hiring a car, you may need to take a special code with you instead. Not all car hire firms currently ask for both parts of your license, but you should go prepared.

You will be able to request a unique code from GOV.UK which will allow you to share your driving licence details or you can download a summary of your driving licence record. The code will last for up to 72 hours and will allow the hire companies to make any necessary checks. You can also request a code by calling 0300 083 0013. This also applies if you have a paper licence that was issued before 1998.

You will be able to view your driving licence online at any time. To do this, you will need your driving licence number, national insurance number and postcode.

Speed limits
Always check for variations and pay special attention when approaching roundabouts and towns as the speed here is usually 40 km/h and there are not always signs to warn you. As a non resident of Spain, you could face a fine up to 400 euros and these are payable on the spot! Ensure that you obtain a receipt for proof of payment.

  • Motorways – 120 km/h
  • Open Road – 90-100 km/h
  • Towns – 50 km/h

Drinking and Driving
DON’T DO IT! The limit in Spain is 0.5 milligrams of alcohol per millilitre of blood (less than in the UK). You could face anything from a hefty fine to imprisonment.

And last, but not least, if you are driving through another country to get to Spain, remember to check that country’s regulations also.